Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Techno Lust

I get it bad. I don't like to read articles about technology and gadgets, but once I've actually seen a gadget in action, I'm a goner.

I am no geek, though. I dreamed of cell phones in the 80's because I wanted to be able to call my grandmother while I drove to work, because driving to work is a supreme waste of time, but if I could talk to Grammy, that's no waste of time at all. My point is, I just longed for efficiency. I still do.

So, what's my type? Small, bright and stylish little gadgets - sleek and light weight. Preferably with an Apple imprint adorning its otherwise uncluttered exterior.

Alas, an iphone isn't in the cards for me. I won't leave my cell carrier. My cell carrier rocks. I get signal all over the creation that I traverse and won't sacrifice that, not even for beauty. My materialism knows bounds.

But, and ipad2. Come to mama... A co-working brought his new baby in on Monday and we gathered around to catch a glimpse of the beauty. It was so thin I was afraid to touch it, and in fact I didn't. But I wanted to.

And I've been jonsing ever since. I gotta have one. I see the adds in the margins of some of the websites I frequent, but I just don't have the nerve to actually click through and offer up my credit card for a deal that is probably too sweet to be true, or at least good for me and my identity.

Plus, at the end of the day, I don't easily part with my money. I talk a good game, but I don't have the nerve to plunk down the cash. I've been strapped at times in my life, and Zeus lived poor most of his life, so we are pretty tightfisted. Furthermore, don't forget I am Scottish...

No comments:

Post a Comment